Announcements

To contact me, please email tiffanykaydesigns(at)yahoo(dot)com

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Make your own decor boxes

My nephew's birthday was earlier this week and he had a party yesterday. He's having a Duck Dynasty party and so we wanted to do some decorations with cattails. Since they are still in season here, to keep costs down, I cut real ones. The only problem was, I needed something to display them in. Trying to keep costs down as low as possible, I decided to make my own. I kind of just made it up as I went along. 

First, you will need a sheet of medium weight cardboard that is 19" wide by 32" long. I used a yard stick and a boning/scoring tool  to make the creases. The score marks are made at 7 1/2", 15", 22 1/2", and 30". You will want to measure how wide you want the box and then add a 2" tab along the sides to glue it together with. I folded as I went to make sure the creases were good and straight


 Then I cut a square that was 7 1/2 x 7 1/2" for the bottom and wrapped the tab around it first, hot gluing it in place.

I held the tab down for several minutes to make sure the glue was holding. 

Then glued the rest of it together with a very liberal amount of glue going the whole length of my tab to keep the box intact. I placed weights on it (these are decorative river rocks) and left them there for a good half hour to make sure the glue was dried and holding. 

ta-da!! Two of them.


And this is how they turned out. I bought some camo fabric from Joann's and wrapped it around adding another two inches to each end so it could be folded in and under. On the bottom I taped the fabric down with some painter's tape, and on the top I pinned it down using regular sewing pins. I also pinned it in the back where the fabric ends met. Then tied burlap and orange ribbon around it. Those are real cattails that I cut from the little creek in town. I got the slivers from the pokies around them to prove it. ;). I thought they turned out fantastic! If I say so myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment